Hunting and Fishing News & Blog Articles
Campfire Foil Packets
Campfire foil packets, also known as hobo packets or campfire packets, are a classic camping meal that's easy to prepare and cook over an open fire or a campfire. They're versatile, allowing you to create a variety of meals using your favorite ingredients. Here's a basic recipe for campfire foil packets:
Ingredients (for one foil packet):
- 1/2 pound of protein (such as chicken, sausage, shrimp, fish, or ground beef)
- 1 cup of assorted vegetables (sliced bell peppers, onions, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, etc.)
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or melted butter
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs, or spices of your choice)
- Foil sheets (approximately 18x12 inches)
- Prepare Your Campfire: Set up your campfire and allow it to burn down to a bed of hot coals. Alternatively, you can use a campfire grate or a camp stove.
- Prepare the Foil Packet: Place the foil sheet on a flat surface. If you're using heavy-duty foil, you may want to spray or lightly oil it to prevent sticking.
- Add Protein: Place your choice of protein in the center of the foil sheet. This can be chicken, sausage, shrimp, fish, or ground beef.
- Add Vegetables: Arrange your choice of vegetables around the protein. Be creative and use your favorites.
- Season and Drizzle: Drizzle the olive oil or melted butter over the protein and vegetables. Sprinkle with your preferred seasonings and herbs. This is where you can get creative with flavor combinations.
- Fold and Seal: Fold the sides of the foil sheet over the food, and then fold the top and bottom edges together to seal the packet. Make sure the packet is well-sealed to trap in the steam and flavors.
- Cook Over the Campfire: Place the foil packet directly onto the campfire grate or coals. Allow it to cook for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the protein and the heat of the campfire. You can flip the packet halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Check for Doneness: Carefully open the foil packet (it will release hot steam) and check the doneness of the protein with a thermometer or by cutting it open to ensure it's cooked through.
- Serve: Remove the foil packet from the fire, let it cool for a moment, and then carefully open it. Transfer the contents to a plate and enjoy your campfire foil packet.
Foil packets are highly adaptable, and you can tailor them to your preferences with various proteins, vegetables, and seasonings. They're a great way to enjoy a hot and satisfying meal while camping without the need for lots of cooking utensils. Plus, cleanup is a breeze – just crumple up the used foil and dispose of it properly.